VACANCIESOXFORD UNIVERSITY CATHOLIC CHAPLAINCY
“Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.”
“The Oxford University Catholic Chaplaincy is looking for a Chaplaincy Manager.
Please submit your application.”
Job Profile: Manager of the Oxford University Catholic Chaplaincy
Location: The Old Palace, Rose Place, St Aldate’s, Oxford, OX1 1RD
Reporting to: To the Chair of the Newman Trust
Job Purpose: To support the Newman Trust in its main charitable objective, ie to be a grant-giving body to Catholic causes, especially the Oxford University Catholic Chaplaincy, and, in this context, to work with the Chaplains and the Chaplains’ Secretary.
The Manager will
· have overall responsibility for the day to day running of the Old Palace (and its newer extension) and No 85 St Aldate’s in Oxford;
· support the Newman Trust in looking after its investment properties (parts of the Old Palace, and No 82 St Aldate’s in Oxford);
· line-manage several members of staff (currently two ),
· and work with the Chaplains and the Chaplain’s secretary.
· will have a flexible and personable approach to work
· will have a good understanding of IT;
· will have experience of maintaining buildings, both for day to day use and long-term upkeep;
· will have basic accounting experience and experience of running a pay-roll.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintenance, management and day to day running of the Newman Trust buildings (the Old Palace, No 82 and No 85 St Aldate’s in Oxford, some of which are listed, grade 1 and/ or 2):
a. dealing with contractors, local council, health and safety requirements etc;
b. dealing with insurance, surveyors, Newman Trust solicitors and others providing a professional service to the Newman Trust;
c. dealing with the Trust’s tenants;
d. directing other staff members to support maintenance of the Trust’s buildings. (Currently there are the live-in housekeeper/ cleaner, and the maintenance assistant.)
a. day-to day accounting; the Newman trust currently uses Xero;
b. working with the Newman Trust accountants and auditors, and others providing a professional service to the Newman Trust
c. directing other staff in support work for the accounts.
3. Staff Pay Roll and Pensions:
a. Processing the payroll on a monthly basis, using an online system for pay roll and pensions;
b. working on handbooks, job descriptions, updating contracts and other HR related work.
a. Overall maintenance of and responsibility for the Newman Trust website, working with a website designer and with university IT;
b. keeping the non-chaplaincy part of the website up to date;
c. organising training and/or training others.
5. Facilities Management, especially for the Conference Business:
a. Responsible for generating commercial business for the Newman Trust, through the hiring out of event and meeting space within the Newman trust building. The Newman Trust currently uses the on-line systems Planyo and Checkfront.
b. balancing conference business with chaplaincy’s and students’ needs;
c. line-managing other members of staff who look after the day-to-day tasks for the conference business.
6. Student Accommodation:
a. organising licence agreements for rooms within the chaplaincy;
b. monitoring payments;
c. looking after maintenance etc. and supervising housekeeping
(day to day housekeeping left to the housekeeper)
7. Regular contact with members of the public.
Salary: depending on experience, initial salary could be around £38,000
Please direct enquiries to Neil Bartlett, Manager Catholic Chaplaincy, [email protected], and please send applications, including a cv and a statement referencing relevant professional experience, as well as the names of 3 referees, to Juliane Kerkhecker, Chair of the Newman Trust, [email protected]. Applications should be received by noon, February 26, 2021. We will take up references before the interviews; we expect to be able to give 10 days’ notice before the interview.